Stevenage supports a highly enterprising and innovative dynamic local economy. Local businesses benefit from being supported through world renowned research centres, state of the art scientific facilities and through specialist business support.
The University of Hertfordshire
The University of Hertfordshire is one of twenty universities in the UK with University Enterprise Zone (UEZ) status, providing specialist support, equipment and resources to support start-ups and SMEs to launch, innovate and grow.
This also includes access to specialist workspaces and technician support including:
- 2,500m2 of life science labs and research equipment
- Full scale courtroom and public gallery
- Physiotherapy laboratories
- Film and TV Studio, with latest equipment, green room and control suite
- Recording Studios, with control room, mixing consoles, live room
- Digital image and multimedia units, to support rapid prototyping, app development, augmented and virtual reality development
- Medical simulation centre, with state of the art facilities and clinical settings
- Sports Village, with latest fitness equipment and technology
- Business incubation space
As a business owner you are able to take up the offer of a vast collection of portable, specialist equipment for hire such as video equipment and cameras, audio equipment, laser cutters, audio equipment, cnc machines, water jet cutters, Internet of Things (IoT) development kits and advanced drones.
The UEZ supports early-stage development of business ideas for Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics (STEAM) through the University’s Proof of Concept scheme. This enables businesses to access funding to support prototype development, market research and feasibility studies.
The University of Hertfordshire will also provide your business with access to academic experts and external advisors, market intelligence, social media, finance and tax, intellectual property, commercial law and social enterprise.
Research and Development
The University of Hertfordshire will work with your business to bring your ideas to life and solve your business challenges through a pioneering approach to research and development, innovation and creative thinking. The University of Herts is ranked 4th globally for research culture (Postgraduate Research Experience Survey) 2019. As a national centre of excellence, it’s School of Health and Social Work is the largest provider of radiography education, and the first in the country to offer paramedic degrees.
Expert support is available in the following areas:
- Agriculture, food and environmental management
- Bio detection technologies
- Cyber Security
- Data Innovation, focus on statistics, image analysis, machine learning and computational nano-science, translated into solutions for medicine, defence and agri-tech
- Engineering, across multiple disciplines in electronics, civil, aeronautics, mechanical, materials and manufacturing
- Mobility, transport systems, sustainable transport and smart mobility
Funding and Knowledge Transfer Partnerships
Through working with the University of Hertfordshire your business can access funding to significantly reduce the cost of research and development projects that drive your business forward. Alongside funding, your business will be supported with industry-driven researchers, a very talented pool of students and world-class facilities to match.
Further support is listed below to help you to realise your growth potential to scale up your business.
Expert support for innovative UK businesses to realise the potential of new technologies, develop ideas and make them a commercial success.
Innovate UK EDGE
Bespoke expert advice for businesses looking to grow your business, commercialise new ideas and exploiting innovation, intellectual property entering new markets at home and succeed in international markets accessing funding and finance and getting investment ready
Intellectual Property Office
The Intellectual Property Office (IPO) is the official UK government responsible for intellectual property (IP) rights including patents, designs, trade marks and copyright.
GOV.UK – Importing goods to UK
A step by step guide to importing good to the UK.
National Enterprise Network
Support with developing business ideas through network of specialist members.
Information on Patents, Trademarks, Copyright and Designs
Gov.uk A-Z of patents, trade marks, copyright and designs
The Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys
Free advice clinics on how to develop a trademark.
Intellectual Property Office Events Calendar
Free business support seminars aimed at improving knowledge about Intellectual Property
Knowledge Transfer Partnership – University of Hertfordshire
Successful commercialisation of innovation underpins high growth. The Catapult Centres help businesses adopt, develop and exploit innovative products and technologies. This is where your R&D can hit the road.